Hairdrenalin Potion: my take on it All / Products & Reviews

The latest hair craze on youtube and the hair forums is the Hairdrenalin potion which claims to grow 6 plus inches of hair in 4 months. Created by youtuber OhValerieMonCherie, everyone is jumping all over this bandwagon. She makes and distributes the potion at www.hairdrenalin.com but also provided details on the ingredients and how to make it on her youtube channel.

• Castor Oil – thickens and strengthens hair
  • Cayenne Pepper – stimulates the scalp
  • Black Tea – prevents shedding
  • Onion Seed Oil – adds special nutrient which makes growth run rapid
  • Garlic Seed Oil – promotes optimal growth
  • Biotin – fuels hair growth

I have to admit that when I first saw it, I too was ready to buy or make it. I’d already started looking for garlic and onion seed oil and breaking open the box of tea; but then I stopped to really think about it and I realised a couple of things.

1. The ingredients are definitely kosher and will do what they claim but most women on a hair journey are already using them in some form or another in their regimen; I know I am.
  2. In its current format, it’s entirely too expensive for me to make or buy.
  3. The main selling point of this potion is that it manages to combine most if not all of the leading growth aids currently being used into one nifty and convenient potion.

Point 3 made me decide to go ahead and try this growth aid but point 1 and 2 made me realise that I could make it myself but I would need to tweak it slightly. Castor oil and Cayenne pepper are must haves and are pretty easy and cheap to source, in fact I already have loads at home. I also decided to include JBCO as it’s more potent than regular castor oil.

Black tea is another easy one but OhValerieMonCherie’s process of infusing it into the castor oil is way too time consuming for me; so I went looking for alternatives. Black tea is made from the Camellia Sinensis plant and it’s the high tannin content in teas which helps reduce shedding. Luckily you can buy Tea Seed oil, which is oil extracted from the seed of the Camellia Sinensis plant. I also decided to include a botanical infusion which I have at home already. It is a blend of Green, White and Red Tea extract in Sweet Almond Oil (black tea is referred to as red tea in the Eastern culture).

Onion seed oil is ridiculously expensive to buy but I discovered that it is included because of its high sulphur levels. Sulphur is already proven to accelerate hair growth and is a popular growth aid for many. Because this is an oil based product, I decided to use sublimed sulphur rather than MSM which is water soluble. It’s a yellow powder which smells like hellfire and brimstone. This is something I also have at home.

Garlic seed oil is another expensive oil but after some research, I discovered that it is the most antimicrobial and antiseptic of all essential oils. It basically ensures that the scalp stays bacteria and fungal free. I already use Miconzole Nitrate on my scalp for this purpose but in order to soup up the potion I decided to use Neem oil in place of Garlic seed oil. Neem is also a very powerful antibacterial and antifungal agent but it smells foul so be warned. You guessed it; I have this at home too!

The last ingredient is biotin and it’s something I’ve never been a huge fan of. I don’t take it internally as I believe I get my daily requirement naturally. I’ve also read too many papers and documents which say that biotin cannot easily be absorbed by the skin or hair and is therefore not suitable for topical application; so I decided to leave it out altogether.

My ingredients list now looks like this and the only thing I’ve had to purchase is the Tea seed oil:

Castor oil
Jamaican Black Castor oil
Cayenne Pepper
Tea Seed oil
Botanical Tea Infusion
Sublimed Sulphur
Neem oil

I will take a before picture of my hair this weekend when I take my current weave out, then do a growth comparison after my 2nd installation in mid August.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tola

I’m a mother, haircare enthusiast, budding writer and science fiction geek. I love all things hair related and I’m on an epic journey to learn all that I can and in turn share all that I can. www.mylonghairjourney.co.uk is my way of doing that!

Comments

1. I'm really eager to see if this works. I'm uber-wary of jumping on the bandwagon for anything but since I've started taking my hair seriously, I've become a lot more interested in the right products to use.

Btw, do you know where I can get Castor oil in London and how much it is please? Thanks in advance!

2. Kulchicbeauty Says: June 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

@domzy most beauty supply stores sell castor oil, i hope it helps

3. Kulchicbeauty Says: June 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I cant wait to do it so exited thanks Tola. i have no idea where to find Tea seed oil, does anyone know pls?

4. @Domzy Kulchic is right, you can get the regular kind from most BSS. if you want JBCO though u are looking at online pucrhasing.

5. @kulchic you can get tea seed oil from ebay, amazon or from my personal favourite, Of A Simple Nature.

6. ValeriesWorld Says: June 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

I'll be making the hairdrenaline, soon, probably towards the end of the month. I was able to get onion essential oil and garlic essential oil.

• i was wondering where can i get the onion seed oil and garlic seed oil i can not find it

• You can get them from ebay or http://www.baldwins.co.uk

• @ tola how did you find it on ebay cause nothing is coming up. did you get onion seed oil and garlic seed oil from there. when i just look it up online only thing that comes up is onion oil, garlic oil no seed i really need help and by the way how is the stuff working out for your hair.

• Unfortunately the supplier seems to have gone from ebay. Onion oil is very elusive and expensive. Baldwins definitely sell Garlic essential oil. the mix I made worked well for me and I actually developed my own product called Shea Goodness Growth Support Serum.

7. @valeriesworld where did you get the oils?

8. Kulchicbeauty Says: June 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

@Tola i saw it on ebay

9. Good post! I just started my hair growth journey. I made the oil and it's working so far. I'll feature this blog in my next blog post! Thanks for the tips!

10. Thanks Nyeta, I look forward to reading your blog.

11. Moderne Meid Says: June 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I'm doing this right now too!

12. Moderne Meid Says: June 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for all of the information as well, I look forward to your pics and also results. I hope it works for you!

13. I hope so too! I've got fingers and toes crossed, I really want to hit APL by August.

14. ValeriesWorld Says: June 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm

@Tola, you can be the garlic essence oil from http://www.baldwins.co.uk and onion essence oil from http://http://www.enaissance.co.uk/

15. Phillipa Drake Says: June 25, 2011 at 6:37 am

Very clever indeed! Congratulations on your new and rapid growth. Did you bake your version of this concoction or just put it all in a bottle and let things steep?

16. Thanks Phillipa. I don't bake it as I use tea seed oil and I don't need to infuse the tea into castor oil. I mix all the ingredients together except cayenne pepper which I put into a muslin tea bag and let it infuse in the oil mix for a few days.

17. Phillipa Drake Says: June 25, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Brilliant! I think I'm going to give your approach to this a go, seeing as I already have all the ingredients. Thank you so much for your diligence, and let the hair growing commence! :)

18. Funky Diva Says: June 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Just wanted to know how you did the tea infusion. And also how you mixed in the cayenne pepper.

19. Anonymous Says: July 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hey Tola, I was wondering if u could list ahsre up got the ingredients and what quantities u use? Im currently just passed nl and really hoping for apl by october, this would be a great help!
    Do any of u have growth updates so far using the oil?

Hairlista – sassysoulchild

20. @Funky Diva. I didn't infuse the tea just used tea seed oil and green tea extract. I also either just add the pepper directly or infuse it using a muslin tea bag.

@ anon I don't really measure, just go by how I'm feeling.

21. Anonymous Says: July 23, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I just made mine last night THE HARD WAY!!! lol.
    So you did not cook anything? you just add oils together and shook? Nice progress btw!

22. nope no cooking and it works a treat.

23. Anonymous Says: July 29, 2011 at 5:24 am

Well you should use oils not extracts because extracts are weak.

24. Anonymous Says: July 30, 2011 at 6:24 pm

where can i buy garlic seed oil and Onion Seed Oil????
    i try health food store and and they don't have it…….

25. I believe most people in theUK get it from a Turkish supplier on ebay.

26. Hi, I am interested in making my own hair potion that is a mixture of different things that I have read but I would like to know whether sublimed sulphur can be placed in the oven or on the cooker for the infusion process?
    Also how much of it should I put into my mixture?

27. Hi Kayora, I would STRONGLY recommend you DON'T place sulphur in the oven. Sulphur burns and when it does it produces sulphur dioxide and a really unpleasant odour. Add your sulphur to the oil mix at the very end of the process when it's at room temperature. A.so it is advised not to go over 10% in any mix as you will likely have an allergic reaction. I tend to stick in the 4-6% range.

28. Anonymous Says: August 18, 2011 at 5:48 am

WOW! I put it in the oven an i thought i was going to die!!! (The smell was AWFUL, especially with the neem oil).

i guess that was a failed science experiment :(

i think you should post your own step by ste guide (to prevent people like me from killing ourselves LOL – we need help & direction)

29. oh I see. Thank you for the heads up. DO you know where I can buy the sublimed sulphur? I have been to various hair shops and they don't have a clue what I'm on about.

30. You can get it from most homoeopathic or herbal websites. Baldwins which is based in Camberwell and has an online store is where I get mine. Finally you can get it on ebay, search for sulphur powder or flowers of sulphur. Please note that you want yellow sulphur powder and not MSM which is Methylsulfonylmethane a white powder

31. Anonymous Says: August 29, 2011 at 8:48 am

Where did you buy the tea seed oil? I cannot find it anywhere.

32. @ anon it's usually called Camellia seed or leaf oil and can either Camellia Sinensis, Camellia Oleifera or Camellia Japonica. You can purchase infused Caellia Oleifera oil in the UK @ fresholi.co.uk

33. Wow!!!! Great Potion Concoction!!!
    Im just a bit curious, how much sublime sulfur did you add to your potion. I have bought some but im unsure how much to place inside the mixture.
    Love ur blog, Kimmy

34. @Kimmy, I used about 5%.

35. Thanks for the info.
    I have another question for you, how did you go about mixing the sulfur. Did you allow it to be infused in the oven with the biotin. Im still unsure how i should incorperate this. I only got it because it was dirt cheap.

Love ur blog,Kimmy

36. Pleas please people DO NOT put sulphur in the oven!!! I don't infuse my mix or put it into the oven as I use tea seed oil. I just mix all my oils together then add the sulphur directly to the oil mix. Shake and go!

37. How much is 5% sulphur? Is it like a tsp.

38. about 1/2 a tsp to 8oz of oil. No more than I tsp to 8oz though.

39. Anonymous Says: October 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Im reluctant to try this as i just about tried the Kimmay-Tube leave-in and i love it but it took me ages before doing it.I am happy with my hair growth as i believe it's all to do with preserving the hair and not so much products or potions.

40. Anonymous Says: October 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Did this work for anyone? Updates please, before and after pics, something.

41. Can you use the potion on relax hair? and do you have to use the other products to get the best results, or can i just use the potion to get to my goal ?

Comments are closed.

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: